Most tax investigations occur when HMRC has reason to believe that your business isn’t paying its taxes in full. Common issues that can lead to a tax investigation include:
- Filing tax returns and paying taxes late, especially when this occurs frequently
- Inconsistencies or unusual differences between your tax returns
- Using offshore bank accounts or other signs of money being transferred out of the UK
- Operating a business that frequently takes cash payments
- Operating a business in an industry that’s been identified as being at high-risk ...